Revised: April 9, 2015
Question: Does Ivey recommend Macs?
Answer: Due to Academic requirements for some courses we do recommend a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 based Laptop. However, you may also use an Apple Laptop at Ivey. Keep in mind, though, that you may need to run Windows software depending on course requirements.
Question: Does Ivey support Macs?
Answer: Macintosh computers are supported. We recommend using the latest Macintosh Operating System, OS X Yosemite (10.10). It may be the case you will need access to Windows in order to run software that will only work on Windows. See “Course Requirements” below for additional information.
Question: If I do decide to bring a Mac Laptop, what should I be aware of?
Answer: Please see below for Course Requirements and Software requirements for your Mac.
Some courses use software that requires Windows so you will need to make your own arrangements to use a Windows machine.
You may run Windows on your Macintosh as long as it is an Intel based Mac purchased since 2008. There are various options for running Windows, including the dual-boot option, Boot Camp, which is Mac OS X or using a software emulator such as VirtualBox, Parallels, or Fusion.
- Western provides Microsoft Office for students for free by going to http://myoffice.uwo.ca. You will need to login using your Western username/password.
- There are Microsoft Office add-ins used in Ivey programs that only provide full functionality on the Windows version of Office. Although there may be Office add-ins available for Mac Office 2011, their functionality may be limited.
- You must install Anti-virus software on your Mac that does active scanning. We recommend Sophos Antivirus, available for free from the SOPHOS website.
- You must submit assignments and exams in Microsoft Office format, so you must purchase Microsoft Office. There have been known compatibility issues using Apple's Pages, Numbers and Keynote.
- It is your responsibility as a student to make sure you meet the program requirements.
Question: Where can I get Mac support on campus?
Answer: Ivey’s IT Helpdesk provides full support for Mac OS X 10.7 - 10.10